Saturday, May 28, 2011

AEP/Festival in the Park 10k Race Recap

     I kept the streak of progressively faster asphalt 10k races alive with a final time of 41:25. This race went like so many others where I just give it all I got at the beginning and then try to run out of steam at a very slow and controlled rate. After we all got spaced out, around mile 1, I held my own for about 2 more miles then over the last 3 miles about 6 or 7 people were able to pass me. Eventually I will work on holding the 6:23 pace for longer durations so that I can run a 10k at an even pace, but for now I got what I trained for.

     I had a streak of pacing in the 7's going with the RNUTS trail race series, but I lost it with an 8:09 pace at the Trail Nut Half Marathon a few weeks back. Right now I'm at a place where I know my days are numbered for being able to keep my 5k and 10k asphalt streaks alive. Eventually I'm going to run one and it will be at a slower pace than the one before it and that's when I'm going to have to do targeted training plans if I want to see another PR at these distances..., but for now it's still coming easy, so no worries.

     Next week is the Conquer the Cove 25k and I have to admit now that I chose to focus my training this week on today's 10k. Consequently I was unable to maintain a mileage base that would allow for me to be competitive next week also. No, I'm not throwing in the towel, but I am lowering my expectation for myself. Since this is the longest trail race of the year for me I had it worked out in my mind that if I could pace it in the 7's that it would somehow make up for pacing the last one in the 8's. In light of how my training has been going I think I'm just going to take it somewhat easy next Sunday and just go for something in the high 8's.

     For the rest of June I'm looking at maybe doing another triathlon and other than that taking it easy. July is the 4 on the fourth race and hopefully a century ride, then the last week of July is when targeted training for the Richmond Marathon and my 2nd attempt to Boston Qualify starts. Good things on the horizon. Being 40 rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment