Thursday, June 9, 2011

Rambling and carrying on...

1) What a May! The most active May of my life. First triathlon, first metric century ride, half marathon trail race, and 10k asphalt race.

2) My 2nd triathlon is just 2 1/2 weeks away. The swim is 400m and it is being held at the new Christiansburg Aquatic Center. Just doing a 400m swim in a pool that is twice as long and twice as deep as the ones around here is worth looking forward to, still I must have specific goals. For the swim I look for 9-10 minutes, but my biggest goal will just be get out of the pool feeling like my performance was worthy of my training. I failed to do that 5 weeks ago at the Angels Race triathlon. At Angels I got out of the pool feeling like I had just barely won a fight for survival. Other than that I look for a 19-20 mph bike ride, a 5k pace in the 6's and 1 minute improvements in each of the transition times.

3) I'm gonna get through this next triathlon and a 4 mile asphalt race on the 4th of July and then I'm ditching the whole competitive event scene for awhile. I want to be able to keep my focus on Boston Qualifying this fall in Richmond and I can't do that if I'm randomly refocusing the intensity of my workouts. August and September are the calm before the storm. October will see a few tune-up races and Nov 12 will be 26.2 miles of give it all you got and don't stop, and keep on gettin' it!

6 comments:

  1. Great May! Hope to see you at another race or two this along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, David. I hope you will consider the Mountain Junkie 4 Miler on Oct 22! Racing trails in the dark really brings a new dimension into the game

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking forward to the Mountain Junkie night race since last year - so much fun! Thanks for the update. I enjoy keeping up with others training. Are you running the Fab5K?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab 5k is doubtful since it seems to always fall on my anniversary weekend. The second half of the year is almost boring without the RNUT competitions, so I look forward to the night race. See you there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That really was a busy May! Did you post all of those in Dailymile because I don't remember seeing them all! I am going to my first triathlon in August but I really need to learn how to swim first! They convinced me I coudl dog paddle 300m!!! This will be very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure I logged all the miles, but I'm not certain I posted links on dailymile to my recaps. Thats way cool that your doing a tri. I find that cross training with swimming and cycling is very beneficial. Good luck developing your swim technique, I'm sure you'll be more than doggy paddling by race day!

    ReplyDelete