Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

                                                                                          
     New year = new opportunities to get in shape. Way back in 2011 I started to notice a pattern taking shape that would make training easier to accommodate into my busy schedule of family life/work/house chores and other such comings and goings. That pattern was splitting the year into 4 month segments with the first 4 months focused on trail races, the second 4 months focusing on triathlons, and the final 4 months focusing on street races. This is by no means a concrete plan, but more of an abstract focus for what type of event the majority of my training will be focused on.

     That is just a broad outline for the year ahead, but it is new years day and I want to use the opportunity to establish a more specific goal. I'm not going to call it a resolution because my past resolutions have tended to be idealistic and unrealistic, when the resolution is broken it can be discouraging and it becomes more of a set back mentally. A goal on the other hand is just something to reach for so as long as I'm striving I'm not going to disappoint myself.

     So my big goal for 2012 is going to be to just put a little more focus on enjoying the ride. Fitness is a journey, not a destination. It is easy for me to get caught up in PR's and faster finish times, and finish places, and I still hope to set a few new PR's this year, but I don't want to lose sight of the big picture in the process. I've been hard at this fitness bit for 3 years now and its been extremely results driven. As far as health stats go, I'm about as statistically perfect as a guy can get, so without that motivation I hope to use 2012 to just relax more, move at slower paces more often,and to just enjoy the plateau that I'm currently on. If 2012 shapes up to be just an average year I can be ok with that. Regardless of how it goes, I suspect my best days are still in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment