Sunday, May 6, 2012

Slacking and Obstacles

     Sometimes I call myself a runner. I guess I do run a little as part of a broad fitness strategy, but no matter how fast I get or how many awards I might win the truth is I am a fitness enthusiast (for the sake of recreational and/or athletic classifications anyway). When I got tired of sitting around the house all obese back in 2009 I made the decision to put as much variety into my routine as possible. I believe it has been my dedication to variety that has prevented most of the injuries that frequent runners acquire from time to time. I thrive on variety..., but I also thrive on routine.

     Sometimes, in the interest of variety, I look at my routine and cut back on one activity or another and add or increase my time doing something else. The month of May is all about strength building, cycling longer distances at lower intensity, running at base levels, and swimming 2 or 3 times a week. This changes up a lot of my intensity levels across the various disciplines, but it doesn't really add anything new to the game. Then I recalled reading about an activity called slacklining. It seemed like a viable way to build up stabilization muscles and core strength, so I asked for and received a Gibbon Slackline for my birthday. I've tried it twice now and I have to say its challenging. I hope to be able to fit it 2 to 3 sessions a week for a 1/2 hour each. Eventually I'll be able to do a specific routine on it, but for now I'm still developing my stabilization muscles and can barely stay on it more than a few seconds unless I have something to hold on to.

     Also new coming up in late June is an obstacle course. In the realm of organized endurance events obstacle courses have blipped on my radar a few times and I figured I'd try one eventually. I was alerted to one coming up fairly close by and jumped at the opportunity to recalibrate my systems for something with a lot more emphasis on strength and a lot less emphasis on speed . Its called the Wintergreen Adventure Challenge, check it out, it looks like fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment