Saturday, September 22, 2012

Free Boat Ride at the Claytor Lake Sprint

     Free Boat Ride
 
     The comfort zone is a wonderful happy place..., but nothing ever grows there. I stepped outside of my comfort zone this morning to attempt an open water swim triathlon. It was only 500 meters (about 1/3rd mile) and I usually swim twice that distance without stopping when I'm practicing at a pool. Something about being out in the open water just messed with my mind and I had to abandon my effort after about 200 meters. I accepted a boat ride back to shore and went on to complete the course from there, but my time(s) will be declared "Unofficial" and probably listed as a DNF (Did Not Finish)

     I'll do a full race report in a few days about my experience this morning and I won't dwell too much on the fact that the boat ride back to shore earned me a DNF (Did Not Finish), instead I'll be focusing on what a great overall experience it was to just be out there facing my weakness and moving closer to making it a strength.

     The lesson here is prep work. I pushed against my boundaries and discovered that I still have much further to go than I thought I did. Now I know...knowing is half the battle.






2 comments:

  1. I met ya there!! You looked great and helped me stay calm before my first open water. I really appreciate that. Nice hero cam. Good luck in the future. Just keep trying I'm sure you will finish the next one with no problems!

    Thanks again,
    Vaughn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Vaughn, I remeber our conversation. I'll be doing some editing of my hero cam video over the next few days and hope to have a fairly nice report by Thursday. I'm sure you'll have a cameo spot. Thanks for checking out my blog!

    ReplyDelete