Tuesday, November 20, 2012

2013 Creeper Trail Marathon Training Schedule

2013 Creeper Trail Marathon Training Schedule

     One of my favorite things about racing is coming up with training schedules and seeing what works and what doesn't. My most recent training schedule was geared towards a PR at the Star City Half Marathon and that didn't work out so well. I learned two things...1) Running 5 days a week is not right for me and 2) I can't come off a weak running base and escalate my mileage and intensity simultaneously.
     
     Keeping these things in mind, I have come up with a new training schedule with the intention of getting a PR at the 2013 Creeper Trail Marathon on March 24. The experiment in this training plan is that I will be starting out with my current mileage base and barely escalating it at all and focusing mostly on a slow gradual escalation of intensity. Additionally, I will be abandoning the traditional 20 mile long run every 4th week and replacing it with a 30 miler. My long runs will include significant walking and hiking breaks at predetermined intervals, so that my base mileage will stay the same even as my intensity on these runs will rise and fall in 4 week cycles.

         


No comments:

Post a Comment