Thursday, December 6, 2012

Training For VA Creeper: Week 1

Training for VA Creeper Marathon
Week 1/16

     Sun: Short Recovery: 4.4 mile family walk. No regard for pace, just enjoying fresh air and nature with the family.

     Tues: Long Recovery: 12 miles: I'm leaving my weekly 12 miler open as an undedicated run type for this training cycle. I'll see how I feel when I wake up and run the prescribed miles accordingly. Today I just wanted to take it easy and spend some time at a comfortable pace on the trails. Its way to early to be concerned with speeds right now.

     Thurs: Long Intervals: 20 miles: Employed a run 6 / walk 1 strategy. Each of the three 6 mile segments were split in half with a different pace target for each half. I know the terrain well, so I just picked something that seemed like it would be a touch past comfortable. This was my first time (recently) doing 20 with just 2 walk segments instead of 3, so I was happy I was able to pull it off with a sub 10 avg pace. Skipped my speed work on Monday, so I'm doing a race Saturday as a substitute. I would have done this run tomorrow, but I will need to rest tomorrow for Saturdays race.

     Sat: Race: 3.1 miles: As a substitute for the 4 mile tempo I would have done on Monday, I would have liked to have seen a steady pace in the 6's. I ended up with only 1 mile in the target range and the other 2 were in the low and mid 7's respectively. Not too concerned with it though, I don't really need a high intensity kick for a marathon PR in March, I just like to maintain it for a wider dynamic range.

     Something new I'm doing for this training cycle is what I'll call a weekly intensity chart. My hypothesis is that by monitoring my average speeds over the course of a week I'll be able to target peak miles sporadically instead of in concentrated bursts like in tempo runs and that doing so will help me gain more consistent pace control.

 
PaceTreadmillTrailAsphalt
Total
5




6 
 1
1
7
 5
5
  8

 6
6
  9
4 6
10
  10
23
5
  11
4

4
 12
2

2
 




Walking  1 5
6
 




  Total
1326
39
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment