Saturday, December 15, 2012

Training For VA Creeper: Week 2

Training For VA Creeper Marathon
Week 2/16

     Sun: Family Walk: 5.23 miles: Taking it easy again this Sunday. My priority for the family walks is for me to set the distance and let my daughter set the pace. So far, so good.

     Mon: Treadmill: 6.75: Intervals + Speed: After a short bike ride to the gym I hit the treadmill with a loose aspiration of holding 9 mph for the first 4 miles, but it wasn't feeling right so I did the first mile at 9 mph, the 2nd mile at 7.6 mph, then I alternated between 7.6 and 9 mph at 1/2 mile intervals for the last 2 miles. For speed work I did 2 miles alternating each 1/2 mile between walking and sprinting at 9.6 mph.

     Wed: Dedicated Parkway 12 Miler: Tempo: Tried to hold it in the upper 7's, but started getting fatigued after 6, so I slowed into the 8's and 9's, but still finished strong with a 6 to wrap it up. Interesting note is that miles 10 and 11 both start out with 1/4 mile steep inclines which I uncharacteristically decided to walk. In this instance it probably helped my legs recuperate some and I was still able to pull off a sub 10 pace on those miles. 

     SAT: Chestnut Ridge 50k (Phase 1, 2 & 3): Long: Just wanted to know what a 50k feels like so I set out to do 6 laps of the 5.5 ish mile Chestnut Ridge Loop trail. I didn't want to provoke an over use injury by running a distance that I'm not trained up to, so I took it nice and slow and did plenty of hiking. My overall strategy was run 4 then hike 1.5 to finish the loop. By the end of lap 4 I had hit a 13 month distance PR, by the end of lap 5 I had hit an all time distance PR and a 13 month PR for total miles ran in a day. Starting lap 6 I couldn't hardly summon up anything but a cozy little scoot, so I just did 2 miles, then walked 2.5 on the road to finish up with 31.28 miles...enough to qualify as a 50k! It was exhilarating, exhausting and interesting.



Pace Treadmill Trail Asphalt
Total
5




6  3
1
4
7 2
6
8
  8
1 1
2
  9
6 4
10
  10
4

4
  11
7

7
 12
2

2
 




Walking  2 12 4
18
 




  7 32 16
55
 

No comments:

Post a Comment