Saturday, February 23, 2013

Training For VA Creeper: Week 12

Training For VA Creeper
 Week 12

     Sun: Vibram Walk: 5 miles: Same strategy as last week which is to run only enough to keep the pace below a 14 minute mile. Miles 1, 2 and 3 had a lot of uphill and/or trail, so I had to run good chunks of those, but 4 and 5 were all speed walk. It was the middle section of my overall workout that began and ended with 5 mile elliptical workouts.

     Mon: Salt Pond Rd O&B: 8 miles: Started exploring this area on foot today. One of my big goals for 2013 is to learn this area. It is easily accessible from my house but I haven't explored it up to now because it is mostly out in the middle of nowhere...as a solo runner I usually like to stay close to roads in case I have trouble or an emergency, but I'm going to get over that mentality and just be careful. Looks like about 30-40 miles worth of dirt roads, gravel roads, and trails, including the Appalachian Trail.

     Wed: Random Hood/Parkway 12 Miler Just taking it easy and logging some miles. I believe this was my first fully successful 12 mile progression run, but it was all on the low end of my range so it wasn't exactly a challenge. When I left the house at 10:30 am it was too cold to be highly motivated, but by the time I finished at 1:00pm it was getting kinda comfortable...I'd have done another 12 progressively faster miles if I had the time, but gotta pay them bills.

     Sat: Chestnut Ridge Loop x4: 22.5 miles:  Intended to explore Salt Pond Rd. more, but parkway was closed so I went to Mill Mtn. and ran 4 laps on Chestnut Ridge. First 2 laps were steady tempo, 3rd lap was a cool down and the last lap was an easy burn out. Felt strong enough to do a 5th lap in the 12's, but didn't want to push my luck since I skipped my long run last week and this was my first time running 20 in a day since as far back as I can recall.


PaceTreadmillTrailAsphalt
Total
5




6 




7




  8
11

11
  9
12

12
  10
4

4
  11
112
13
 12




 




Walking 
34
7
 




  Total
3116
47
 

No comments:

Post a Comment