Saturday, June 29, 2013

2013 Jackson River Scenic Trail Half Marathon

2013 Jackson River Scenic Trail Half Marathon
Training For New River Trail 50k: Weeks 1-3

History
None. 2013 is the inaugural running of this event.

Preperation
The first 3 weeks of training for the NRT 50k has consisted mostly of slower paces while I get my body readjusted to longer distance running. I'm running 3 times a week and ending every 3rd week of training with a 1/2 marathon or, in the case of Iron Mountain, a 16 miler. 

PaceTreadmillTrailAsphalt
Total
5




6 

.5
.5
7
912
21
  8
418.5
22.5
  9

17
17
  10

19.5
19.5
  11

18.5
18.5
 12

4
4
 




Walking 

8
8
 




  Total
1398
111
 
   High concentration of miles in the 8 to 11 min/mile range over the past 3 weeks. Very few of the miles in the 7 min/mile range were ran consecutively, so I was not expecting to run as many sub 8's as I did at todays race.

The Course
  
This is a non-technical, fine crushed gravel trail. There is slight elevation changes, but they are gradual and almost impossible to differentiate from a flat surface while running. I would recommend this race to anyone looking for a half marathon PR due to the relative flatness of the course.
The Race

This event has 3 distances racing simultaneously. A 1/2 marathon, a 10k, and a 1 mile. It is impossible to know who is doing what distance, but I knew after the first mile or so that I had 6 in front of me. Just before I reached the 10k turn around 4 of the ones in front of me came running back towards me. This meant I was 3rd over all in the half. I held 3rd for the first 8 or 9 miles, but eventually had to drop my pace from the mid to high 7's down to a low to mid 8. Shortly after dropping my pace I got passed by 2 and held 5th for the remainder of the race. I also managed a 1st place for my age group, but I acknowledge that running a 1h45m half marathon is not particularly fast for a flat non technical trail, so it was just a fluke that some faster runners didn't show up and take the podium spots.
Results
Bling! Crossing over the Jackson River on I-64 with me pillaged booty!

Garmin Data: HERE
 
Jackson River Scenic Trail Half Marathon
2013-time: 1:44:53.04, Pace: 8:00, Place 5/34 overall, 1/3 in my age group, 5/17 among men

Please support Jackson River Scenic Trail Half Marathon Sponsors

3 comments:

  1. Phil,

    Congrats on a great finish! My name's Dan Sullivan; a runner here in Roanoke doing the JRSTHM (mouthful of an acronym there) for the first time in about two weeks. I was wondering a couple of things about the race - is this one of the easier halves you've done (I assume so due to your comment about it being a good race to try for a half marathon PR)? Were there many participants? It looks to me that in the two years since you ran there have been varying amounts, but never more than 80. Last, how was the trail for passing people? It looks somewhat narrow to me. Cheers!

    (p.s. This is about three years after your OP, so if you don't see/respond I won't be offended!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saw this on June 22nd. Hope you participated and it went well. Yes, it was relatively easy for me, but I train regularly on the Blue Ridge Parkway, so drastic elevation changes are kind of my norm.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply - I did run it (they weren't sure with the rain and flooding but confirmed it was indeed on the day prior), and it was awesome! some slight hills but the second half was definitely easier than the first. The guy who won it did so in just under 1:21 - pretty dang fast. I plan to run again next year - beautiful course.

      Delete