Saturday, August 10, 2013

2013 Lynchburg Half Marathon

2013 Lynchburg Half Marathon
Training For New River Trail 50k: Weeks 7-9

History
None. This is my first year participating in the Lynchburg Half Marathon

Preparation
My goal for the 3rd 3-week segment that leads into the Lynchburg 1/2 on Aug 10th is just to take it easy and maintain what I got. I need to start doing some recovery miles, but I'm not willing to start running 4 days per week just yet, so I'll swap out the interval training for recovery training this segment.


PaceTreadmillTrailAsphalt
Total
5




6  2
1+1
4
7 8
10+1
19
  81511+3
20
  9
123+3
27
  10
37+3
13
  11
18+2
11
 12
24
6
 




Walking 
32.5
5.5
 




  Total111579.5
105.5

The Course

The Race

Shirt front, race number and finishers medal.
Garmin Data: HERE

Final Results:
Lynchburg Half Marathon 
2013- time 2:03:16, Pace 9:25/M, Place 125/316 overall, 18/26 in my age group, 90/160 among men

The past 3 weeks have been very lazy and it showed through on race day. Ya get what ya pay for I guess. Anyways, I had a good time and satisfied my curiosity with regards to the Lynchburg Half Marathon's reputation. 

It's all true!

That frackin' hill at mile 4-ish kicked my butt and I never really recovered from it. Oh well, I set a low bar to come back and get a course PR in a future running of the event. It was a good overall experience even if was my Personal Worst half marathon time. Some days its all about going the distance.
 
Shirt back. Please support Lynchburg Half sponsors.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you had a good time there!

    That hill a few years ago kicked me around hardcore; the next year I had learned my lesson, but I got so bored with the course that I just didn't care about what happened. I now just refuse to go that race as there's nothing "Lynchburg" about it (all but the first 1.5 and last 1.5 miles are in Lynchburg), but for whatever reason people with LRRR have no problem with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about boredom being an issue. Didn't mention it in the post, but out and back courses always have a boredom issue for me and this one was particularly bad because of doing the loop twice and covering the "spur" section 4 times (O&B X2). Still, I found it nice to just get out and enjoy new scenery. I will go back probably twice more...once to prove something to myself and once again just to remove any doubt.

      Delete