Tuesday, May 17, 2016

I am not a runner...

I am not a runner...




Its true. Running is a means to an end, but its not the only means. I'm a fitness enthusiast. I lived life as a somewhat large man for a decade or so, I found it to be unsatisfactory, and so now I take steps to ensure that I maintain certain levels of activity, health and fitness. I'm not doing it to extend my life, though statistically that is probable. I'm doing it to improve the quality of life that I live while I'm here on this earth for however long that may be.

Running for me has always been about the intense long duration calorie burns. I do love them, but they aren't needed to maintain any of my health and fitness goals. My base layer of wellness is nutrition, followed by flexibility, followed by strength, followed by low impact cardio (swimming, cycling, etc...) and lastly...high impact cardio such as running.

Hard competitive running the way I do it requires a solid base and the truth is my base is shit. I don't deserve to run. Over the past few years, since roughly 2012, I have been paying much less attention to nutrition, I seldom do any significant flexibility exercises and I only strength train to maintain a minimal standard of functionality whereas I should be working towards gains.

I'm going to regroup and get back to basics before I run again. My blowout at the 2016 Blue Ridge Half was unacceptable by any reasonable standards. Over the next several weeks I'm going to work on some defined standards that I will have to achieve before I make another go at competitive running. I'm going to start blogging more about the journey as well as the events. I'm going to spend time in the back of the pack with the walkers and get a feel for that end of the spectrum.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment